Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Qatar sucks

Qatar currently holds the distinction of being the richest (per captia) country in the entire world. With all these riches I expected a lovely time of my 6 hour layover however this is not the case. The airport is the worst.

There are several reasons:
1) I'm stuck here for 6 hours waiting for my plane and am too cheap to pay the $30 for a visa (being cheap isn't Qatar airport's fault but one of my own doings)
2) It's 125 degrees outside and there is some kind of sand storm, usually this doesn't make much of a difference inside a climate controlled bubble. However, I just went to the bathroom, number 2, and the water coming from the bowl was super heated, like crazy burning hot and you could feel the steam coming up...not pleasant.
3) Everything is super expensive and their are no places to change money. We just paid $10 US for 2 cups of chai tea and then sitting in the coffee store the waiter told us we were not allowed to play cards.
4) I'm super tired, we've already been travelling for 24 hours, been to 2 other airports and have one more to go (Bangkok, Delhi (overnight), Qatar, Amman (in 3 hours) and then overland to Israel the following morning. In all 5 countries in 2 days.
5) The Internet is free. BUT and this is a big "but". The machine kicks you off every 10 minutes and gives no warning or countdown timer.
6) The airport doesn't have gates, it's one of those places where you get on a little shuttle bus to and from the airplane. The ride is long too, it takes 10 min from gate to plane.
7) I like to complain.
8) I miss home and still have a couple more airports, cities, security checks, bus rides, borders to cross before I get there.
9( The VIP lounges won't let us in. We got the frequent flier card they made us fill out but turns out to be allowed in the VIP lounge I will have to take 10 more Qatar Airways flights till I accumulate enough points!! Why do they always want you to fill out those damm cards??

No comments: