Tuesday, September 30, 2008

20 Minutes = 3 hours

Now that I'm finally back from living abroad for the past 8 months I realize that I don't have much to do before I start the full court job hunting press. I do enjoy writing down thoughts. I enjoy just getting things out there...out where? I don't know. Just stream of blahhhh and not really having to know where anything is going. Not having to care about grammar, spelling, punctuation or making any sense.

I spent the better part of today unpacking a slew of boxes that i had kept garaged. In this unpacking it became apparent that I have way to many clothes. Most of which I don't wear. How I accumulated this many clothes blows my fucking mind.

Going thru the clothes each one holds a little story, a little nostalgia if you may. The T-shirt I got for doing community service or attending some holiday party, the pants I never got hemmed, the suit jacket from 10 years ago. This nostalgia coupled with my family history of chronic pack-rat-tism has kept me from throwing just about anything away.

Boxing everything up, driving 2 blocks and donating everything would take ohhhh about 20 minutes. Instead, having no "time crunch" and no where to be I got the idea to try and sell the stuff.

Sell to who?

First thought was to have a quaint yard sale! Get some color coded sticker dots, sit on my front porch in the sun, a big blanket spread out with "vintage" t-shirts, old socks, used novels, movie posters, and half working electronics.

This garage sale in my mind was going to be glorious. People handing me money while I sipped lemonade, meeting my neighbors neighbors seeing them inspect my old boxer shorts and test the like new "I sear it worked" toaster oven.

Well, it was Monday...

So, with my daydream shattered I loaded up one huge duffell bag and a large garbage bag that my roommate, Dan had been planning on donating for a couple months into my car and down to the "vintage" clothing store.

Arriving at the trendy Melrose avenue store it was empty (ahhh I love commerce in LA during normal daytime hours when the average suckers are at work) except for the 12 people waiting in line to sell their old clothes. Apparently this is what people in LA do who don't have jobs. Sell clothes instead of working.

When my name was finally called I stood at a counter and was greeted by a fashionably clothed girl wearing some kind of towel one piece shirt dress that was clearly "vintage" aka someone dropped it off yesterday and this chick scooped it up for herself.

She went about looking at all my clothes and putting them into two piles. One HUGE the other tiny. I assumed that since I was making funny small talk with her that she was buying all the clothes in the HUGE pile and leaving the odds and ends to be donated.

Well was I wrong...My small talk isn't funny...and worse yet she didn't want the HUGE pile.

Before purchasing my tiny pile (sounds dirty) she called over the other 3 store workers and had them each scrutinize her finds. The 2 co-workers, each with their own very unique "vintage" styles huddled around each other and whispered to the other talking about my precious clothing before unjustly discarding it to the HUGE pile.

So, after 2 hours I sold less than 5 percent of the 2 huge bags of clothes I had schleped in and still had to take the remainder of the clothes to goodwill. It was a big waste of time but I made out with $50.

So, today. Day 1 without a job I got paid $16.67 an hour. How am I going to make money tomorrow?

No comments: