Thursday, December 4, 2008

Movie theatre crooks

I don't go out and pay to see a movie at the theatre that often. And when I do it's usually on a film I'm excited to see visually projected up onto the big screen so the $12-15 and 2 plus captive hours is well spent.

A few weeks back I went and saw the new James Bond film at the Marina Del Rey AMC and while the theatre was fine, chairs were okay, floors wern't too sticky, so so screen. What really killed me was this "pre-show" nonsense. The "pre-show" as I believe it's called in it's essence is supposed to be "pre" the show or before the movie starts. Kind of what I'm imagining previews to be like. Right?!?

The film (or the whole previews, dancing popcorn, turn off cell phone bullshit) was scheduled to start at 9:40pm.

9:30 rolls around and we slide into our seats. For the next 10 minutes there are harmless Television commercials playing while the audience trickles in.

9:40pm horay!! Bond is going to begin after a couple previews!!

9:40-9:50pm and these shitty TELEVISION COMMERCIALS have now been playing for 20 f-ing minutes!! Why in tarnation am I paying $11 to watch 10 minutes of television commercials??

9:50pm After the overly long drawn out commercials for consumer products there was 10 odd minutes of previews and announcements.

10pm : Bond...Finally, after 20 minutes of wasting my time the movie reveals itself.

Film directors, prodcuers and executives, who spend countless hours trying to analyze what the public will think of thier films never have to sit through 20 minutes of junk. They should!! Each time they go to screen a film, they should sit through commercials, previews and dancing cell phones and see how they like it.

I know a better movie going existence. It's out there and it doesn't involve paying to see things I can get for free on the internet or broadcast TV. Industry screenings, Netflix, Tivo, HBO, HULU, illegal downloads. All these things have been created to make our lives eaiser and more efficient AND are much cheaper than going to the theatre.

1 comment:

jabberlope said...

I second this!! Who in their right mind believes this is going to entice people to come to the theater???